Bad Hire? Here’s How You Can Fix Hiring Mistakes
The writing is on the wall. The red flags are creeping up the pole. Despite your best efforts, it looks like you’ve made a hiring mistake.
Nobody’s perfect. Hiring mistakes – aka mis-hires – happen to everyone at some point. And unless you can turn back time (in which case, you’re definitely in the wrong business!) the real question is: What can you do about it?
Questions to Ask Yourself
Begin by making sure you’re doing everything you can to right the ship. Ask yourself these questions:
- Have you provided your new hire with adequate training and orientation?
- Does your new employee have the resources they need to do their job?
- Do they understand exactly what’s expected of them?
- If it turns out a person is not a good fit for the job, do you have another position for which they may be better suited?
Steps to Take
After you have thoughtfully and honestly considered these questions, it’s time to take appropriate action.
- Decide whether to invest further in your new hire. If the employee has the potential to be a great contributor with the proper training, consider whether offering them an opportunity to gain the skills they need is appropriate. After all, there was something that sparked you to bring them on board, so don’t lose sight of it.
- Reevaluate your hiring process. Determine what went wrong. Revisit actions that were and weren’t taken and try to pinpoint any steps that could have helped you avoid a mis-hire situation. Identify any shortcomings, so you can work to correct them.
- Worst-case scenario: Learn from your mistake. If coaching and/or new duties aren’t enough, deal with the situation immediately rather than letting it fester. Document shortcomings and problems, as well as the efforts you took to correct them. This includes getting detailed input from a person’s supervisor and co-workers. If you have to let someone go, be clear about everyone’s legal rights. Use common sense and avoid emotion.
Give your staff a boost!
The right staffing partner will help you avoid mis-hires by providing the best of the best in candidates, including passive talent that may not otherwise be on the market to meet your needs. Let Frontline Source Group be that solution for your company. Our specialties include sourcing, recruiting, hiring, training, staff development and more. Contact us today to set up an informational meeting.
Published on Jul 12, 2018